Class is in session for all you beauty beginners out there.
Makeup can be overwhelming! Where do I start? What products do I need? How do I put them on? Why are there so many options? How do I pick whats best for me?
I remember when I was a beauty beginner. I had no idea what I was doing or how to do it. But I thought it was cool at the time. It was not good.
Even though Emma Watson is insanely naturally gorgeous without a stitch of makeup on, in this picture she is epitomizing the look I should have aimed for when I was a beauty beginner: fresh dewy skin, flushed cheeks, major lashes and a natural lip.
Here are my top 5 tips for a makeup novice.
- Protect yourself. Moisturizer with an SPF of 15 or higher. Skin care > makeup. The sun is your biggest enemy in terms of creating and maintaining beautiful skin. Over time UV exposer will lead to discolouration, sun spots/age spots, wrinkles, sagging, etc. etc. So protect your skin! Moisturizer with SPF is easy to find. My current favourite is Simple Protecting Light Moisturizer SPF 15.
- Get your bases covered. BB creams are a great option for beauty beginners. They offer sheer to medium coverage and you won’t need expert blending skills and a toolbox of makeup brushes to create a smooth canvas. BB creams can be found at any price point, but don’t be fooled; a high price point doesn’t ensure a quality product. I recommend Garnier Nutritioniste Skin Renew BB Cream for combination to oily skin or Tarte Tinted Treatment 12 Hour Primer.
- A pop of colour. A bright pink or peach blush will work on any skin tone. I find a lot of beauty beginners get stuck trying to pick a blush colour. My advice is to go bright or go home. It’s better to pick a highly pigmented bright pink or peach blush and apply it lightly with a medium sized fluffy brush like the Real Techniques Blush Brush. This will brighten up your entire face and give you a flushed, youthful and perky appearance. Who doesn’t want that…? My top pick for pink blush is Maybelline Dream Bouncy Blush in Fresh Pink and my top pick for peach blush is /3/”>Milani Baked Blush in Luminoso.
- Flutter those lashes. Mascara! Mascara! Mascara! There is no other beauty product out there that holds as much power over me as mascara does. I feel naked without it. An inky black mascara will bring all sorts of good attention to your pretty peepers. This is one beauty product that I believe you never have to pay big bucks for. (I’m going to do a spend vs save post soon!!). Some great drugstore mascaras are Maybelline Volum Express The Falsies, Maybelline the Colossal Cat Eyes, and Loreal Double Extend Beauty Tubes.
- Pucker up. A lip balm that moisturizers and provides a hint of colour is the perfect gateway into exploring the plethora of lip products available to you. For beauty beginners I think a sheer tinted lip balm like Burt’s Bees Tinted Lip Balm is perfect. Once you’re feeling a little more daring Maybelline Color Whisper offers the lip balm feel with a bit more colour payoff.
Did you find this post helpful? What are your best tips and product recommendations for beauty beginners? Let me know in the comments!